Guidelines for Submissions
Your baristas are interested in all genres of short fiction, poetry, excerpts from novels, photographs, art, and audio podcasts or novel excerpts. We encourage you to share your work for publication in the Fictional Café. Your work will be reviewed by our baristas, thumbs up or thumbs down, to select the best pieces to publish.
Your submission must be original material, submitted exclusively to us – no simultaneous submissions, please. We’ll reply to your submission with 30 days, but we usually don’t offer editorial advice. If we do, you can revise and resubmit one time. Work we accept will be published here in the Café’s ‘zine, and becomes eligible for publication in our annual print anthology. And one last thing: If we’ve already published a work of yours, we ask you to wait one year before submitting new work in order to give everyone a chance to be published.
Important things to note:
One: You must become a member of our Coffee Club in order to submit your work.
Two: Your submission must be an exclusive submission to Fictional Café. We no longer accept multiple or simultaneous submissions. We promise to read and decide on your work within 30 days.
Three: When you fill out your Coffee Club membership, please tell us how you heard about FC.
Four: Please note that Fictional Café is a non-profit labor of love, so we are unable to provide an honorarium for accepted submissions. All your baristas work for free; we don’t accept advertising; and we never charge you for publishing with us.
Five: We’re sticklers about your following our guidelines. Please follow them to a T. We need your cooperation to keep the submissions process manageable so we can read and reply to your work as quickly as possible.
- Click here https://www.fictionalcafe.com/coffee-club/ to become a member of our Coffee Club so you can submit your work. When finished, you can go to the Submit page to send us your work.
- Your filename must include your name and the work’s name, i.e. “Hemingway – Bell Tolls” or “Browning – 3 Love Poems.”
- Send your work as an attachment to your email. Written works, please use Word or a similar word processing app. Do not send a PDF because we can’t edit or post it. Photos and art should be in JPG file format, preferably larger than 1MB. Podcasts should be MP3s, no larger than 64MB.
- Please submit a single piece of fiction or four to six poems per email. Total length must not exceed 3,000 words unless it can be split into parts of 3,000 words or less.
- No more than ten photographs or photos of art.
- Podcasts should be fiction under 30 minutes in length. If the MP3 is too large to send as an attachment, please contact us for uploading instructions.
- Your manuscript must be double-spaced, 12-point font. In the header, upper right corner, please provide your name, email address, word count, and page number.
- A maximum of two (2) submissions may be submitted in a given year, but only one per year will be published. Once your work has been posted, we have a waiting period of one year before we can feature your work again. This is to insure new voices have an opportunity to be heard.
Submit your work by email, click here or directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
We’ll ask you a few questions so readers can learn a little about you, the author. We’d like to use a photo of you, but it’s your call. You’ll also receive a crisp, new one-dollar bill to hang on your wall and a really cool Fictional Café sticker for the bumper or window of your ‘63 Corvair as a thank-you for sharing your creative spirit with others who visit the Café.
We respect the time and effort it takes you to create a stimulating and challenging work of prose, poetry, art. or audio. Thank you for your interest in publishing with us. We look forward to reviewing your work.