Guidelines for Submissions
Your baristas are interested in all genres of short fiction, poetry, excerpts from novels, photographs, art, and fictional audio stories such as audio dramas or audiobook files from your published book. We encourage you to share your work for publication in the Fictional Café. Your work will be reviewed by our baristas.
Your submission must be original material, submitted exclusively to us. We do not accept simultaneous submissions or requests to review books. We’ll reply to your submission with 30 days, but we usually don’t offer editorial advice. Work we accept will be published here in the Café’s ‘zine, and becomes eligible for publication in our print anthology.
Important things to note:
One: You must become a member of our Coffee Club in order to submit your work.
Two: Your submission must be an exclusive submission to Fictional Café.
Three: When you fill out your Coffee Club membership, please tell us how you heard about FC.
Four: Please note that Fictional Café is a non-profit labor of love, so we are unable to provide an honorarium for accepted submissions. All your baristas work for free; we don’t accept advertising; and we never charge you for publishing with us.
Five: We’re sticklers about your following our guidelines. Please follow them to a T. We need your cooperation so we can review and reply to your work as quickly as possible.
- Click here to become a member of our Coffee Club so you can submit your work.
- Send your work as an attachment to your email.
- Writers, please submit a single piece of fiction or five to eight poems per email. Total length must not exceed 3,000 words. Please use Word or a similar word processing app. Do not send a PDF because we can’t edit or post it. Your filename must include your name and the work’s name, i.e. “Hemingway – Bell Tolls” or “Browning – 3 Love Poems.”
- Artists, please send six to ten photographs or photos of art. Images should be in JPG file format, 1MB or larger.
- Audio stories should be fiction under 30 minutes in length, in MP3 format and no larger than 64MB. If the MP3 is too large to send as an attachment, please contact us for uploading instructions.
- A maximum of two (2) submissions may be submitted in a given year, but only one per year will be published. Once your work has been posted, we have a waiting period of one year before we can feature your work again. This is to ensure new voices have an opportunity to be heard.
- Please include a photo of yourself (optional) and a personal bio (as a Word document) so our readers can learn more about you. It can include links to your website, social media accounts and any works in which you’ve been published.
Submit your work by email, click here or send to: email@example.com
We respect the time and effort it takes you to create a stimulating and challenging work of prose, poetry, art or audio. Thank you for your interest in publishing with us. We look forward to reviewing your work.