Guidelines for Submissions
Your baristas are interested in all genres of short fiction, poetry, excerpts from novels, photographs, art, and audio or video podcasts. We encourage you to share your work for publication in the Fictional Café. The three of us review your work and select the best pieces to publish. Your submissions must be original material. We promptly acknowledge all submissions, but we usually don’t offer editorial advice. You’re welcome to revise and resubmit one time. Work we accept will be published here in the Café, and becomes eligible for publication in our annual print and ebook anthology.
The Fictional Café is a non-profit labor of love, so we are unable to provide compensation for submissions.
We’re sticklers about your following these Guidelines for Submission simply because it makes the process more manageable and efficient. Please follow them to a T.
- Click here http://www.fictionalcafe.com/coffee-club-submissions/ to become a member of our Coffee Club so you can submit your work.
- Please provide your last name and the title in the subject line of your email like this: Tolstoy – War and Peace.
- Send your work as an attachment to your email. Written works, please use Word; photos and art should be in JPG file format; podcasts as MP3s. The filename must include your name and the work’s name, i.e. “Hemingway – Bell Tolls” or “Browning – 3 Love Poems.”
- Please submit a single piece of fiction or four to six poems per email. Total length must not exceed 3,000 words unless it can be split into parts of 3,000 words or less.
- No more than ten photographs or photos of art.
- Podcasts should be under 30 minutes in length. If the MP3 is too large to send as an attachment, please contact us for uploading instructions.
- Your manuscript must be double-spaced, 12-point font in the header, upper right corner, provide your name, email address, word count, and page number.
- A maximum of two (2) submissions may be submitted in a given year and once your work has been posted, we have a waiting period of one year before we can feature your work again.
- Email your work to firstname.lastname@example.org
- We’ll ask you a few questions so readers can learn a little about the author of such an amazing work. We’d like to use a photo of you, but it’s your call. You’ll also receive a crisp, new dollar bill to hang on your wall and a really cool Fictional Café sticker for the bumper or window of your ‘63 Corvair as a thank-you for sharing your creative spirit with others who visit the café.
- We respect the time and effort it takes you to create a stimulating and challenging work of prose, poetry or art. Thank you for your interest in publishing with us. We look forward to reading your work.